Sunday, June 18, 2006

June 18, 2006 - Monday

06/18/06 MONDAY
REALLY EARLY EDITION
---------------------
Todays Gazette is brought to you, in part, by W. A. (Bill) & Helen Moe
and Ray & Margaret Demester
---------------------
The current temperature is 62 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was N/A
Normal H/L temp for this date is N/A
The forecast for the coming week calls for super summer celebration
weather.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
Buster Schumacher, Jack Loos,
Milton Johnston and Rilie Morgan
----------------------
Already folks are starting to show up for this years 2006 Grafton
SummerFest Celebration.
----------------------
Ray Carlson and Hod Hutson, Elvin Mattson, Hugo Kutz, Bob Oihus, Stan
Wysocki, Fritz Finger & Gordy Stark.
----------------------
The past weeks fishing report is FANTASTIC,... with catching just a bit
short of that. I released one 26 and a half inch and one 24 and a
quarter incher. I put several "nice" ones in the box along many "good
eaters" as well. I was also able to give a pile of short and skinny ones
another chance to grow up.
Then of course, one day, I practiced bite and release all day and left
a Wa-Pa spinner hooked to almost every rock south of Kenora. Anyway,..
it was a super excuse to eat at the Rock Harbor Lodge.
-----------------------
Donnie LaBerge, Chuck Stenso, Warren Evans, Charles Stewart, Glenn
Coulthart.
-----------------------
Bert Overland sent the following thoughts on "Happy" Chandler. >>>
Gary, Happy Chandler had more to do with Grafton than just one year of
playing baseball. I can't say how many years he played but I do know
he made many visits to Grafton even after he was the "National
Baseball Commissioner". I saw him several times as he visited Fredy
Berg, one of my neighbors, and they had get togethers with the old
baseball team guys. I am sure some of the kids of these guys have
memories to tell. Happy Chandler was a celebrity through the 30's and
40's.
"Happy" gave me an autographed baseball--so old it had the green
string seam binder. I had it for many years and one day after I got out
of the service I saw some neighborhood kids playing ball, by A.B.
Thompson's potato warehouse, with one the cover had come off of, so I
gave it to them, a favor I really regretted in the later years as
it would be one of a kind now---who can ever remember seeing a major
league baseball with green thread.
Best regards, Bert <<< Thanks a million Bert, for caring and sharing
another magical part of "our" communities past.
-----------------------
Bob Levos, Jerry & Lee Bratlie, C. Gary Fischer, Ron Koester, Rick
Mont, Lyle Erickson, Dan Gowan, Tom Zidon, Roger Sellnow, Tom Hermann
-----------------------
Chuck Stenso shared the following thought on Chandler field. >>> I
slightly remember Chandler Field getting developed. I remember there
was a meeting at my dads garage (Stenso Motor Co.) with a few people
working on Chandler Field. I remember your dad, (Bill Moe) Bill
Meier, Howard Hills, Ray Carlson, Art Idsvog and several other people
were there planning the field and the celebration when it was done
(Chandler Days)
Chuck
-----------------------
Elmer Sondeland, Nels Hanson, Eldrige Sandvig, Willie Johnson & Justin
Colsen.
Not to mention;
Arnold Barclay, Richie Swanson, Buzz Baldwin, Chuck Field, Wayne
Langen, Orvil Gilleshammer, Arlan Erickson, Cliff & Harvey Anderson and
Dennis McFarland.
##############
Pleased to welcome Ruth Jelinek to "our" Gazette family tree.
##############
By now you've probably noticed several names in todays Gazette, and,
wondered why.
The following note, one of several I have received in the past few
days, gave me reason to think back and "appreciate" many of those folks
responcible for my being. Marcia's note; >>>
Hey Gary,
Just want to congratulate you on being chosen Grand Marshall for this
years SummerFest. You deserve it. Keep up the great work.
Marcia Molde Seeba <<< Thanks a million for the vote of confidence
Marcia. I must admit, it is, in light of those who have come before me,
a most humbling experience. This would also be a super place to include
Marcia's father name to my list. Benny Molde was another very
instrumental individual having had a hand in molding the person I am
today.
--------------------
When I was told that I had been nominated and selected Grafton's 2006
Hometown Hero I had a difficult time believing it could be. Mind you I
was pleased and honored, yet I truely struggled with the possiblity that
I might share the honor with such worthy recipiants as Norv Elbert and
Wally DeSautel. Both of whom contributed so much to "our" community.
Then, as I tried to reflect on those that have helped me over the
years. I was surprised to see that each and every one of them could also
qualify for the honor. It should go without saying that I am unable to
mention everyone, though I should.
Eddie Ebertowski was an early influence on my work ethics around the
greenhouse and of course my entire family, my brothers and sister and
all of my aunts and uncles. My first paid position in agriculture was
for my Uncle Norman Burns, (truck driver) for that I am most thankful.
My most thourough agricultural education, however, came from the
Univercity of Leonard DeSautel at Nash North Dakota. With a few under
graduate courses by Rock and Hector Sevigny.
Then, as I tried remembering everyone, I discovered the list would be
so long it would be impossible in this venue. So for now, I would simply
like to say, Thank you, to everyone I have ever known. You can believe
me when I say, "If I have ever seen you, talked to you or had a chance
to listen to what you have to say. I have most definately learned
something from you, and, I am most appreciative for that."
Finally, if I might be so lucky as to deserve even just a small part
of such a wonderful community honor, aside from all those people I've
mentioned. The most important "being" in my life, is my wife. The only
reason I exist is because she does. According to the last edition of the
Walsh County Record, I will be the Grand Marshall of this years 2006
SummerFest Parade. If the trueth be known, the "Grandest" person in that
parade, will be the lady sitting next to me, my wife
Thank you so very much Pat, for being my best friend, my lover and my
wife.
=================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
=================================
The Gazette is brought to you every day (when I'm home) from the
wonderful community of Grafton, North Dakota. Situated on the beautiful
shores of the lovely Park River.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: