Monday, January 30, 2006

January 26, 2006 - Thursday

---------------------
Today’s Gazette is being brought to you, in part, by DEZEH'S Gift Shop. Located in Ted Hoffman's Zelda Theater building.
---------------------
The current temperature is 23 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 25/4
Normal H/L temp for this date is 16/-4
The forecast for tomorrow is upper 30's to the lower 40 degree's.
That's darn near warm enough for the snowbirds to start leaving their
southern nests.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-----------------------
At one point in yesterdays Gazette I said, "There is no shame in
needing help. The real shame is not helping those in need." I said it,
because I truely believe it. Now for the hard part. I also mentioned in
yesterdays Gazette that a load of building material came to town from
the "save big money at Menards" store. I find that interesting.
For me it poses the question. Who is saving big money, and for whom,...and, who will lose their job and ultimately their home because of it?
Maybe this would be a good point to interject the fact that often,..
almost always, I find myself driving all the way uptown to get various
items of the hardware variety simply because I believe "our" locally
owned hardware store "needs" every nickels worth of business he can get. (and I should add, he deserves it) (I might also add that our house is
less that a block away from a large discount department store)
Yesterday afternoon, and I won't use names, it's the idea that's
important, I noticed another Menards truck in town saving "someone" BIG money. The irony? This time it appeared to be delivering it's load of
"stuff" to a business that is in the business of handling local rental
properties of various descriptions for use by local people. The tenants
of which, I suspect, for the most part, are hoping to make enough money
to pay the rent working in the very community that is spending their
money "saving big money" 40 miles away.
Where is the logic?
As stated before, "It is not a shame to need help" So, I am asking for
someone to help me understand the logic. Oh I know, everyone does "some" shopping out of town, certainly I do.
However, I've also stated that there is really nothing in "our" humble little community that can't be purchase "somewhere" cheaper, in many cases much cheaper. That being the case. Why would, or should anyone waste their hard earned money by spending it in "our" home town? When all they have to do is drive a few miles more, and "save big money".
Because,..I think as I said the other day. IT ISN'T YOUR TOWN -- IT'S YOU.
Or so it seems to me.
Sorry, this one got a bit longer than I would have planned,..if I had
planned it.
==================================
To know what is right, and then not do it. Is the worst form of
cowardice.
==================================
The mention that Mildred and Bennie Molde was adding another diaper dumper gave Susan Conway cause to send the following note.

>>> Hi Gary,
What a nice surprise to see Marcia's note to you and them see the 1948 November Molde birth, that was me. -- Looking forward to the class of 1966 reunion this summer. Can't believe it has been 40
years…enjoying reading The Gazette Thanks Gary, Susan <<<

Thank for caring and sharing Susan. I think you will find your humble little community much different when you arrive for this summers celebration.
---------------------
All it took yesterday was the mention that Ted LaMont had surgery and was reopening his barber shop for Sharon to decide to write.

>>> Hi Gary...
I see my Grandpa Ted had surgery back in 1948 as told in your last
Gazette!!...now just to try to figure out what the heck was wrong with
the ol' Barber...I'll have to do some family research and see why
exactly he had surgery!!...he really loved that Barber Shop in
Grafton and would tell my Dad (Gordy LaMont) and Dad's siblings
how he (Ted) would cut hair for trade...chicken, eggs, beef,
clothes...you name it!!...people stuck together back in the Depression
and it didn't matter what kind of trade it was, as long as people were
surviving was ALL that mattered to the folks!!
My mother still tells the tale (with a tear in her eye) on how her father (Charles Greskowiak, Minto) did not have any money to buy Christmas presents one year...so the family just all sat around together in the old, small, rickety farm house they called 'home', singing carols gathered
together in love around a custom decorated, winter weathered tree branch they called their christmas tree...Mother said all her father could do was sob with a painfully broken heart for not having anything for
his children for Christmas, but was also very blessed knowing he had
such a wonderful family around him celebrating that special night....
funny how that story came out...was only going to comment on my
Grandpa Ted...ha ha...thanks for all the great Gazettes...we (your
Gazette Family) really appreciate them!!...Sharon LaMont :) <<<

Thanks a million for caring and sharing Sharon. Also, thank you for sharing memories of a special part of your world with "us".
----------------------
I am pleased to welcome another new Gazette family member. The
following note will go in the subscription file. (that's the drawer on
the right side of my desk.)

>>> Hi Gary, a friend has been forwarding your fun newsletter to me
frequently, and I think it is time that I subscribe. I have enjoyed
reading about Louis Stamus who used to go duck hunting with my dad, Hans Torkelson. Suzanne Burns' memories of the Nelson Drug were great.
Not long ago I was thinking of Marie and I couldn't come up with her
name. Where did she ever come from? I can't recall Mrs. Rudnik. I only remember Josephine Rudnik in the Fabric Department at Reylecks who rarely smiled. Earl's Five Cent Shoe Sale was such fun but not as much fun as the Reylecks Sale. I still miss Reylecks when I visit Grafton.
Please let me know if there is a subscription charge, Gary.
Eileen Claseman Baardson, Tucson, AZ <<<

Thank you so much for allowing my "babble" in your world. With higher fuel costs, the increase in electrical fees, computer
maintenance cost escalating in double digit figures, not to mention
higher labor, and insurance rates. We (the Gazette staff) feel "our"
rates must keep pace with the changing times.
To that end we have decided to set this years subscription rates at a
level at least equivalent to the value of the Gazette.
Currently, that would be nothing - zero.
We are willing to break that down into three easy payments of nope, none, nothing. And, if you will promise to tell a friend, we'll through in an extra misspelled word or two.
============
This part is serious, we all owe our service men and women a
significant debt of gratitude. Without them "our" streets would most
certainly be full of sheetheaded tyrants, with hoods covering their
face, sporting granade launchers and forcing women to do things even
dogs don't do.
Hence, I am pleased to pass on the following message from retired Navy cousin Dean Sevigny. I believe it is fairly self explanatory.

>>> Gary
I was reading an article in the latest Navy Times last night and
I came across an article that I know may be of interest to many of your
readers that have either had or now have relatives, family, fathers
etc.. in the US Navy. This article explains that the Navy Memorial
which is located in the Nations Capitol is interested in getting as many
sailors both past and present logged into their data base for all
eternity. The Navy Memorial in DC is a terrific site to behold and
visit while in the nations capitol.
This is simple and would offer closure to families of those that have served and have went on to a better place and it would also offer a chance to those now serving to have their records entered into a great memorial for all to see. This offer used to cost $50.00 to those wishing to enter their information but is now free until this summer. Thanks for letting me bend you ear. I knew that if I got the information to you it would stand a chance of getting out to the public. Thanks again.

NAVY TIMES ARTICLE 1/24/2006
Navy Memorial wants service records — no charge.
Your Navy career can now be preserved for all time — for free.
The U.S. Navy Memorial in Washington, D.C., is asking
active-duty, Reserve, former or retired members of the Navy, Marine
Corps and Coast Guard to put their records of service online for all to
see.
"This is the core of what we are about at the Navy Memorial," said Rear Adm. Rick Buchanan, a retired submariner who heads the Navy Memorial Foundation. "Our mission is to honor those who have served or who are serving today."
Buchanan said the offer is good until July 2006 and saves people the
usual cost of $50 the organization normally charges to enshrine a
person's record and photograph in the system.
The Web-based registry includes records of service from more than
340,000 past and present service members. It can be searched at
www.lonesailor.org/ log_intro.php.
An individual's entry in the log usually contains the person's name and
rate or rank, as well as listing the names and dates for all his duty
stations.
Sailors can enter their own service in the log and are encouraged to
enter relatives as well, Buchanan said.
In addition, people also can write their own sea stories and have them
linked to their log entries.
"That's what most sailors do when they get together with their
shipmates, they tell sea stories," Buchanan said. "We want to capture
those shared experiences and preserve them for posterity."
— Mark D. Faram <<<

Thanks again Dean, I'm sure some of "our" family members will find the information interesting and take advantage of the offer.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or so it
seems to me.

P.S. As always I invite, and encourage anothers point of view. Whether
expressed to me confidentially, to share with the group, and with or
without your signature.
"It's the actual exchange of information that keeps us informed. Not
simply the thought of it." Gary


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: