Tuesday, August 17, 2004

August 17, 2004 - Tuesday

Subject: SKEETERVILLE GAZETTE

08/17/04 TUESDAY grp. 3
(((((early edition)))))
The present temperature is 56 degrees (outside) It hasn't been really
warm in Skeeterville this summer. However we haven't had any mud slides,
forest fires, floods or hurricanes either.
Todays Skeeter meter reading is - low.
It's scratch an itch day in Skeeterville.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L NEWS:
Graftons Firefighters calender drawing will begin November 1, 2004.
Drawing will take place each Monday and the winners will receive their
checks in the mail. All names drawn will go back into the drawing, so
you have more than one opportunity to win.
The calenders, including a ticket for the drawings are $ 20 each.
Please consider purchasig more than one ticket. Heck, get one for all
your kids. We did, and, I'm really hoping they'll win.
The Grafton Fire Department is comprised of forty (40) members of which
four are apprentices.
On November 8, 1976, the family of former chief Hugo J. Kutz, set up a
scholarship fund that is managed by the GVFD board of Directors.
If you can't give all you have, please give all you can. Every time a
fire alarm sounds. Firefighters risk both life and limb, to protect you
and your home on your hallowed ground.
==================================
T H I R T E E N (13) :
Yup, that's a bakers dozen. Just last week I was sitting in the
"cruiser" looking out at the lake thinking to myself, how lucky I am.
Lucky to have a wife that has stood by me for over 43 years. (44 on
October 7th) Four terrific kids, two boys and two girls. Two great
son-in-laws and two terrific daughter-in-laws. Twelve (12) fantastic
grandkids and a beautiful Great granddaughter. I've had two (2) mothers
and a father only the very luckiest could hope for. Three brothers all
smarter than me and a sister to keep us all in proper prospective.
As I looked out at the water I was reminded of the special things I've
learned from my aunts and uncles, and all the things they have done for
me. I thought of my cousins and how special they are and their parts I
hold dear to me.
As the sun peaked out from behind a cloud. I thought, now that's
something charger (Chuck) would really like to see. Then, as I looked
toward the end of the marina, there in a 18 foot lund I could almost
see, Ray (my wonderful Father-in-law) waving and saying, "come-on, jump
in and we'll go out and snag a couple". As I sat there and thought of
how fast time passes by. I was reminded of next month and a special
event. On the fifth (5) of September we'll all get together and
celebrate Ma's (Pat's mother) 95th birthday. Ma was actually born on the
7th but when you get to be 95 you can celebrate on the fifth if you want
to. Wow, what an influence Ma's been on my life. I'll be eternally
greatful for everything she has taught me and especially for giving
birth to my wife.
O,.. I know Ray and Chuck can't stand alongside as I look out over the
water. But that's not as bad as I once thought it would be. Because each
and everyone I've ever held near and dear in my life. Have all become a
part of me.
Yup,.. I am lucky to have an even dozen grandchildren, and NOW I find
out it will increase to THIRTEEN.
Well dog bite my unit. A bakers dozen. Brad and Denise are expecting
(and now so am I) We're guessing one, but it could be two. No matter
we'll take them. So Brad and Denise, CONGRATULATIONS, with all our love,
Mom and Dad Moe
Tyler will no longer be the youngest grandchild. He was a whole minute
younger than his sister Jadrian.
Yup, and to think Cora Lykken once asked me if I thought I'd ever
amount to anything. Well, maybe not, but my family sure has and I thank
God, and everyone for that. Proud,.. is a term one uses when you can't
fully discribe how you feel. Let t suffice to say. I am sure proud of my
family and friends. And yes, I do consider myself very lucky.
==================================
If someone could give me a hand I would appreciate it. (The rest of
the story.) Yesterday afternoon I was driving down the street and must
have push the wrong button on the "beep" radio. For a minut I found
myself subjected to a line of "beeped" vulgarity Ozzy Campbell would
have thrown us out of the pool hall for. The dial said 107.5, however
after more beeps than a Polish wedding. The announcer said something
about KJ108. If anyone happens to know what I was listening to. Could
you please call the jackrumps that run the station and tell them their
advertisers are waisting their money trying to get my attention.
==================================
HURRICAN CHARLEY:
I received our first note out of Florida from Marjie. Thank goodness
Marjie and her family and friends were not injured.
Marjie wrote: Hi Gary,
Just checking in after being without power from Friday night at 8"16 til
5 PM Monday afternoon. Hurricane Charley went right through my town of
Kissimmee. Thankfully no one was injured and personally our damage is
"minor". The roof is leaking and our pool screen is inverted into the
pool. We lost a tree and parts of many others but others have it so much
worse. And some will be without power for many more days.
I've lived in FL for 22 years and this was the first direct hit I've
experienced. I hope it's the last. The storm was downgraded by the time
it reached us. I cannot imagine what the people in Port Charlotte and
Punta Gorda where it came to land must have gone through.
Good neighbors are a blessing. My husband works for the power company
and needed to be there helping to restore power in the community. I was
left to clean up alone. Or so I thought. One neighbor who had no damage
brought his chain saw to cut up the fallen tree and branches. His wife
and another couple helped clear it away. Everyone was chipping in
helping each other. people from other parts of the development came by
to make sure all was well on our street. It's been several hot humid
days of work. Working in the rain felt good til the lightning drove me
in. Ice has been scarce and I lost food in my fridge but that's not a
problem now with the power back. I'm far from finished but with my
neighbors help and the help of some IT guys from the power company who
wanted something to do the cleanup is coming along.
Take care and God bless you and your loved ones. Marjie<<<< Thank you
Marjie for caring and sharing. We certainly hope you will return to some
form of normality soon.
------------------------
This coming Thursday, Shirley and Larry Durand will celebrate 37 years
of wedlock. Ironic. When they got married, Larry had a red convertable.
Now, he has a red pickup. When they were married, Larry had a head full
of curly hair. Now Larry's curly hair is all in the "head", if you know
what I mean.
When Larry and Shirley were married, they were both happy. Today,
Shirley is most happy when Larry is. Larry was "skinny as a rail" on
their wedding day. Today he resembles the engine that runs on the rail.
When they were newlyweds, our daughter Kelly used to love to ride around
with them in their bright red convertible. Back then, she used to think
they were really special. she still does to this day, and so do Pat and
I. Congratulations Shirley and Larry, on your 37th wedding anniversary
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
PLEASE REMEMBER THE FIREFIGHTERS, WHEREVER YOU ARE.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: