Tuesday, June 09, 2009

June 9, 2009 - Tuesday

Todays Gazette comes to you in memory and respect for, Wenzl J. ( Wen)
Kennedy
-----------------------
The current temperature is 49 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 55/43
Normal H/L temp for this date is 76/51
It was 96 degrees on this date in 1956.
So much for Al's global warming warning.
======================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
======================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
--------------------------------
It's been several days since the last Gazette and I don't even have a
real good excuse. I have spent a few days at the lake and that was
great. The "Walleye Combine" is still sitting on the trailer on shore so
I am unable to provide a true and "factual" fishing report.
I can tell you that the people and the food at Arnesen's Rocky Point
Resort are still fantastic and I am looking forward to spending as much
of this summer there as I can. I'm not sure if it's the people, the
water, or simply just the resort surroundings in general, however, what
ever it is I always seem to feel a whole lot better when I'm at
Arnesen's Rocky Point.
The other day a fellow asked me how I felt and I told him "like I was
driving 55 on the interstate" to which he replied, "not feeling the best
ah?" to which I replied, "what do you mean, I'm not THAT bad, after all,
55 is the speed limit on most roads in Minnesota anyway,...... Right."
---- Or so it seems to mean. ----
It is the time of the year when those that are able spend time
harvesting Walleye's.
From time to time I will share the adventures of this summers Walleye
harvest, or probably more accurately, of my fish feeding trips out of
Arnesen's Rocky Point Resort on the south shore of Minnesota's beautiful
Lake of the Woods.
==== I pray that I may live to fish
Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
I then most humbly pray,
When in the Lord's great landing net
I'm peacefully asleep
That in His mercy I be judged
Good enough to keep.
--------------------------------
I have borrowed the following information from KXPO Radio's Walsh
County Daily News.com site.
++++++++
The Grafton City Council has a new council member.
Don Hutson was appointed last night to serve in Ward Four.
Hutson replaces Mary Stark, who resigned because she moved out of
her ward.
The Grafton City Council also approved three storefront improvement
projects for Grafton Curlers, Golden Harvest Jewelers, and Storage Pros.
It also approved a Renaissance Zone Project for Golden Harvest Jewelers.
The contractors have removed dikes that protected the town from this
spring's flood.
Mayor Todd Burianek appointed Denise Moe to the Grafton Planning and
Zoning Commission to replace Judi Evens.
The Grafton City Council also approved two federal stimulus projects.
One,... to mill and overlay Fifth Street from McHugh Avenue to Burgamott
Avenue.
Mayo Construction of Cavalier will do the
work very soon. The other project is to
sealcoat about 54-blocks in town, Morris Seal Coat of Morris, Minnesota
will do the work.
Grafton Mayor Todd Burianek also handed out the Volunteer Awards.
The short term volunteer awards went to Don and Laura Manney for
coordinating
the volunteer program for this spring's flood. The long-term volunteer
of the year
award was given to Melinda Severson. She works at the State
Developmental
Center. Congratulations to her and the Manneys.
-----------------------------------
On Sunday, June 14th, 2009, Pastor Deborah Troester and her husband
Joseph will make a presentation at Our Saviours Lutheran Church in
Grafton. The Troesters are currently serving as Missionaries in the
Central African Republic. They work with the Evangelical Lutheran
Church of Central African Republic to develop appropriate and practical
ways to provide safe water sources in rural villages.
Coffee and bars will be served following the presentation.
--------------------------------------
I am saddened to report the passing of my friend and former area Beta
Beet Seed representative, Wenzl J. Kennedy. Wen once told me that he
never gave away a cap or jacket that couldn't tear the patch off of. He
was the most aggressive beet seed salesman I have ever known. His word
was his bond, and, his bond was as solid as a rock. Much of what I
learned about "handling" beet seed I learned from Wen Kennedy.
Pat and I extend our deepest and most sincere sympathies to the
Kennedy family. The loss of one we've walked with, often hurts more than
we know. Just knowing others feels the same, can sometimes soften as we
go.
----
Wen, 78, died on June 2, 2009 in Sun City West, Arizona.
He was born in Voss, North Dakota to John Alexander Kennedy and
Elizabeth (Paur) Kennedy on August 17, 1930. He married Mary Ebertowski
on September 20, 1930. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War
and was a lifetime member of the American Legion Post 201 in Minto,
North Dakota.
Wen lived and worked most of his life in the Minto area where he grew
up, attended area schools and worked in farming and agriculture related
businesses.
==========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==========================
"Life is to short for long answers."


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: