Monday, August 11, 2008

August 11, 2008 - Monday

Today's Gazette is brought to you by the word "GASTRONOMY".
---------------------
The current temperature is 64 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 79/54
Normal H/L temp for this date is 83/56
It was 96 degrees on this date in 1958
Mother nature dumped a bit over 1½ inches of rain on our front lawn
in about two hours. It sounds like we can expect even more the rest of
today and tomorrow.
=========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
=========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
---------------------------
It's been said, and, I think, I've said it once or twice myself.
"Things often come in groups of threes".
The first three things I pondered as I returned home yesterday, in no
specific geographical or chronological order, was.
It certainly is a good thing the folks at Subway (on the corner of
hiways 17 & 81) build sandwiches faster than they build the facilities
to build the sandwiches in.
++++
Then... I wondered how long it would take the contractor responsible
for rebuilding a few of our communities streets, if we had had a normal
amount of rainfall and adverse weather, rather than the desert like
(dry) conditions we have experienced for most of the summer.
++++
Then..... as I made my mandatory every day, or as often as I can, trip
thru Leistikow Park. I noticed that the road "I thought" was supposed to
be completed by late July is still, relatively, untouched.
However, that hasn't effected the frisbee golf folks much. I counted 9
"frisbeeers" (spl) on our last trip thru the park.
-------------------------
GASTRONOMY: according to my Webster,.... is the art of good eating.
That being said, it would be fair to say the state of my being is the
end result of participating in at least one of the "art's".
--------------------------
It is unfortunate that the world is full of folks that need our help
and our prayers. Fortunately, the world is also full of folks willing to
extend a helping hand, whenever and where ever possible.
If I were going to make a poster that exemplifies the worlds finest
individuals. I would be hard pressed to find a better example than
Michael Jensen.
Until I received the following note from Michael's sister, Christine I
was in hopes that Michael already was on the road to a healthy recovery.
Unfortunately, as I understand it now, that is not the case.
Christine sent me the following note along with information that might
allow those that would like, to help her brother through these very
difficult days, weeks and months.
Christine wrote: >>>>>
Hi Gary, the last I spoke to you, I told you the tumor they removed
from my big brother Michael wasn't cancerous. We found out a week later
it was. He has been going through extremely intense chemotherapy
treatments for several months now and will continue these through
February. I was wondering if you could spread the word about his
upcoming benefit. Raffle tickets are currently being sold for $10. The
raffle is for a John Deere Lawn Mower, a big screen television and a
rifle. We will also have a silent auction during the benefit so if
anyone would care to donate something they can contact me at our
restaurant Hastings Landing at 454-3332. Thank you for your help Gary, I
really appreciate anything you can do. Christine Jensen

Here is the rest of info about the benefit.

---- Jensen benefit set for Aug. 9 ----
A benefit for Michael Jensen, 41, will be held Saturday, Aug. 9, at
the Kennedy VFW. Michael had a cancerous tumor removed from his
vertebrae and has been going through intensive chemotherapy treatments
which he will continue through February. A youth baseball game between
the Drayton and Kennedy/Hallock teams will be held at 4 p.m., in
Kennedy. A burger supper in conjunction with a silent auction will
take place from 5-9 p.m. The raffle drawing for a John Deere Lawn Mower,
a big screen television and a rifle will be held at 8 p.m. Everyone is
welcome and encouraged to attend and show their support. A huge thank
you goes out to all those coordinating this event. <<<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Christine. Please tell Mike
hello from his former agriculturist. I would also like to purchase a
couple of those tickets. I might also encourage those Gazette family
members that can, to do the same.
=====================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
=====================
"If you don't need help yourself. You're in a perfect position to help
someone that does." Or so it seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.



======= CORRECTION ========
-----------------------
STUPID: according to my Webster Dictionary means lacking normal
intelligence.
The "Readers Digest Version" of the Michael Jensen portion of todays
Gazette should have been sent out LAST WEEK. If it had been sent out
last week. The information would have been both meaningful and
beneficial.
Although Christine did send the right information, in ample time, for
me to send it out, the error in not doing so was all mine.
Unfortunately, the raffle portion of Christines message no longer
applies. However, Michaels battle to regain his health and well being is
just as valid as ever. His need for our help and our prayers is just
great today as it was before the raffle.
Hence, I will be mailing my "two tickets" worth of contribution to the
help Michael Jensen get well fund in care of The Hastings Landing
Restaurant, Drayton, ND. 58225
My error was stupid, to be sure. Not correcting it as soon as possible
would have been be the height of ignorance.
And,.... my fine friends, as I am afraid of height, I must apologize
for my stupidity.
=======================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
=======================
Thanks Lee

No comments: